Friday, October 15, 2004

This is really me - combining the first harvest after getting married to my farmer. It was fun to look back through some pictures and remember those 'good old days'.  Posted by Hello

The things I remember most from that harvest: I remember standing at a window, watching the rain and praying so hard that God would stop the rain that was destroying our crops. And the rain continued to fall.... I remember feeling desperate because most of our lentil crop was cut down and lying in the field to dry down but it kept raining and they weren't drying at all. In fact the lentil seed started sprouting there in the field. I was ready to go out and start turning swaths over by hand. Ladger laughed at me. But I was desperate. He figured out a way to do it with some other implement and that was great. And then he bought a second combine so that when we could finally combine we could go twice as fast. And just like that I was on the field driving machinery when I had no clue what I was doing. I remember moving from field to field on the dark country roads having no idea where I was going - just following the tailights from the grain truck ahead of me. I remember starting to combine a field in pitch darkness and coming to the end of my swath and had no idea where to go (Ladger had swooped in on my swath ahead of me because he knew there was a powerpole ahead that he was trying to help me avoid). So I was standing outside crying because I felt so lost. I remember a few days later going around the outside corner and hearing/feeling a tremendous crash. I felt sick wondering what I had done. I got out and one huge tire from the combine was lying off to the side - the axle had broken; nothing I had done as it turned out, but I didn't know that at the time. All the grain trucks were at the opposite end of the field along with Ladger's combine so I remember running, jumping, waving and yelling to try and get someone's attention for about half a mile before anyone saw me. Now I look back and enjoy those memories. After all we made it through that harvest. We'll make it through this one too :-D

No comments: