Friday, March 07, 2008

Day 3

Our tour guide suggested that the ladies could have a free morning Wednesday and I knew just what I wanted to do.
I'd read about bicycle rentals at our hotel online before I went and I really wanted to go exploring. Bicycling is very big in Germany and there are bike trails everywhere - what a treat! I had 2 1/2 hours before the tour bus would be picking us up.

So I planned to bike for an hour and then left an hour and a half to get back as I was sure I'd get lost - I know myself only too well!

At first I was planning to stay on the grounds. And they were beautiful. The cemetary beside the chapel was beautiful - each plot a work of art!

But it didn't take long enough and so off into the countryside I went. I saw this old covered bridge in the woods and had to go check it out.
And I passed by a pig farm - the smell gave it away. And then I found myself in the industrial area of Marienfeld. I got out of there and found what I was looking for - the town of Marienfeld. I stopped for a coffee and danish in a little local bakery - fun trying to communicate. And then it was time to head back.


I got turned around a few times and ended up back in the industrial area and couldn't remember how to get back to the main road. So I stopped a couple of times for directions..which were pretty useless because I didn't understand a word except for the map one gentleman gave me at a gas station. So I was able to sort out where I needed to go but it was still hard trying to figure it all out.
I was really relieved when I smelled the pig farm (even before I saw it). And then I saw the covered bridge and knew I was headed the right way but then there was an intersection that I couldn't remember which road I had come in on. So I tried all three and picked the right one last! Again, typical!! I was so thankful when I saw this...and knew I was back!


Guess how long it took me to get back....the whole hour and a half I'd left for myself!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You got lost! What an adventure. This part was hilarious - "really relieved when I smelled the pig farm"! Love the pics to go with the story.

Andrea said...

It was an adventure - I'll always have fond memories of that little escapade. There was a little convenience store beside the bakery that had some Easter things for sale. I picked up a little chicken for a dollar - He's my little keepsake for that crazy bikeride. I probably looked like a chicken in the way I walked around the next day after 2 1/2 hours on a bike.