Sunday, November 27, 2005

Christmas is coming...

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Lights are up and decorations are out. We've had some beautiful hoar frost this past week. We don't have much snow anymore but this morning freezing rain made our drive to church a little more exciting.

This morning our message was about the difference between our possessions and our treasures. We get these things so mixed up sometimes. We act like our possessions are our treasures and in the process of getting 'more' and 'better' we can lose sight of the things we value most; like the relationships with our family and our relationship with our Creator God.

I don't think that possessions are a big deal in my life most of the time - I don't shop for much except groceries but I was reminded how I do value the things that I do have. Just the other day Rory knocked over the clock on our fireplace and broke the glass in it. Did my reaction tell Rory that the clock was more important than he is? I sure hope not but I was reminded of how easily we can get it so backwards. Our pastor said that we may work hard for our possessions but it's the treasures of our heart that we would lay down our lives for.

And guess who thinks that we are a treasure worth dying for? It's really hard to grasp just what it means for the Creator of the Universe to consider us a treasure when none of us are any great prize until and unless God gets ahold of our hearts and starts making something beautiful out of each one of us. May our Christmas celebrations be infused with a childlike wonder at the lengths God went to to reach each one of us with His love.

No comments: