Sunday, October 22, 2006

Homeschool is fun?!!

I can't believe the difference in Rory this year. A year ago, I had a very unmotivated young lad. He didn't want to 'do school' and he could waste time with the best of them. It was a special challenge for this mom who loves to read, loved school and still loves to learn. I had such visions of fun, eager learning....

Mind you, it wasn't all bad...not at all...but I was wishing it could be less of an effort... for both of us. This year, Rory's in Kindergarten for two days a week and I work with him on the other days. It was just the thing we needed to break the intensity. And now he's thriving. He's even telling others that he loves 'homeschooling'. This year he really likes some of his subjects (like cursive writing) and even wants to do more than I ask him to. He likes math. And he is gaining a lot in reading (even though it still isn't his favorite). And I can't believe how he gets the work done so that we really do have time for extras like art projects, science, piano lessons, etc without adding extra hours on to our day.

2 comments:

Carol said...

If I wasn't such a good friend, I'd say, "I told you so!", so instead, I'll say "Great! Enjoy!" LOL You really do have to wait until THEY are ready.

Andrea said...

Yes, although knowing it in my head and trusting it are two different things - especially with one's first child. LOL