Sunday, January 02, 2005

Gophers and Aircraft Carriers

Ship
Last night Ladger and I watched Pearl Harbor. Rory watched a bit of it too and I kept up a running monologue to help him understand what he was seeing. We got out an encyclopedia in the middle of the show to look up aircraft carrier and Ladger read that article to him during commercials. At some point, Rory told us that it was bad to shoot people - "They should only shoot gophers, Mom! Gophers are bad." Gopher So then it was a discussion about the food chain - how gophers aren't bad; there are just too many of them because there are not enough foxes, owls, etc. Does that sound like anyone else's movie night at home? TV 3

Postscript: I just have to share my own gopher stories with you. When I first moved to the Saskatchewan Prairie I thought gophers were kinda cute...gasp! But they started looking more like rodents all the time as I started seeing holes eveywhere on my lawn...under the new trees I'd planted, in my flower beds, by the house making a way for mice to find their way inside our home, etc. I got fed up with them enough to set my very first trap. And I kept checking to see if I got one. And one day, sure enough, one of those critters was dancing around and I panicked. After all I wasn't expecting him to still be alive!!! Ladger wasn't home so I called his mom and she said to kill the critter with a stick. I was in utter shock at this barbaric thing I was about to do - I couldn't just let that poor gopher suffer all day 'til Ladger got home. I must have smacked that poor gopher a half dozen times 'cause I couldn't get up the nerve to hit him hard enough to ....well, you know....hurt him. But finally the deed was done. After that I learned to shoot a gun.

I picture myself as quite the redneck as one Sunday after church, Ladger and I were seated at dinner when I saw him...that critter that was being so elusive and driving me crazy!! He was running around and I'm certain he was laughing at me! That did it! I hauled on my rubber boots...wonderful complement to my dress.....and out with the gun I went. I got him too! Then I was finally able to enjoy my dinner.



No comments: