Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Like a rose, trampled on the ground

"Like a rose, trampled on the ground" When planning my powerpoint background this week for the song "Above All" this line stuck out and so I went out and picked a nice full rose, found a patch of ground and literally stepped on it.

Rory was watching this whole process with concern. He finally asked, "Mom, why are you killing your only rose?" I told him about the song and how this is a picture of how we treated Jesus when he was on the earth. The whole song is about how Jesus is above all and you would expect that such a one would be praised and honored. But no, He was
Crucified, laid behind the stone
He lived to die, rejected and alone
Like a rose, trampled on the ground
He took the fall
And thought of me above all.

What a picture of how much Jesus loves each of us and what he was willing to endure so that we might live and have life abundantly. Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been humming this song all evening, and then sat down and read your post. What a reminder of what it cost Him.

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful way to personalize the sacrifice. It's kinda funny though that you wrote about that song. Around here there are a couple of Pastor's who don't like that particular song. The chorus line of "... He took the fall and thought of me above all."
Well actually Jesus wasn't thinking about us, He was following what His Father God told Him to do. The fact that we benefit from His sacrifice is part of the plan, but was not Jesus' focus being crucified.
Does that make sense?
But on another note - I've always loved that song too.

Andrea said...

I do believe that if one looks at this song in a strictly theological analysis, Jesus wasn't thinking of us above all else but certainly His sacrifice indicates just how much he loves and places importance on us. I love how the lyric contrasts how great God is with the greatness of the sacrifice He made for us. There may be some who have a 'need' for theological accuracy in lyrics - I feel there is some room in poetry for expression that gives the correct theological idea without being "perfectly accurate". After all, this song is in many a word picture and I think it is powerful for that.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you. :-) Happy Friday of a long weekend.

Islandsparrow said...

That's one of our favourite worship songs here too. That particular line "... He took the fall and thought of me above all." gave me some thought as well - but the Father "so loved the world that He sent His Son" - so it fits doesn't it?

Andrea said...

Yes, for some reason that we can't quite fathom - God loves us immensely! It fits for me :-)

kpjara said...

That really is a powerful picture.

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » »