Friday, December 31, 2004

And He weeps too...

I hesitate to write in the aftermath of Tsunami; what can one say that is worth saying and yet these thoughts have been weighing on me.
"What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then
vanishes" (James 4:14)
This verse has been on my mind for a few days and then as I was preparing for our worship team and reading the text, I read
"People are like grass that dies away; their beauty fades as quickly as the
beauty of wildflowers. The grass withers and the flowers fall away." (I Pet
1:24)
We are so frail. In one earth shattering heave, the ocean waves are unleashed to wipe away thousands of people in moments. And as we look on in disbelief, unable to fathom what we are seeing, our perpective changes.
Things that may have seemed so important yesterday suddenly seem so trivial. I picture one lady's grief over her dead baby that she is holding in her arms and my heart grieves too as I realize just how precious my own children are. Self-importance flies out the window and suddenly we realize we are small, weak and insignificant.
I saw a lecture being advertised to learn how to never say "I can't". And it struck me as so ironic. Postive thinking doesn't change the fact that there are so many things I can't do. I can't fly just because I think I can. And I can't fix the enormous suffering of thousands no matter how much I want to. I can help in small ways. But most of all I can pray. Some people will feel anger towards God because this happened. But without Him this is just a huge tragedy with much unaccounted for. But as I pray, I know that He knows each person missing today; He knows the story of every person in each unmarked grave; He sees every tear drop; He knows each heart ache. And He weeps too.

No comments: