Wednesday, April 12, 2006

What's Keeping Me so Busy?!!

Well it's been awhile since I've taken the time to sit and write here. Carol asked me what's up in my last comment section and I'd be hard pressed to say exactly. Umm...taxes, an awesome high school jazz concert, MOPS, music lessons, homeschooling and homeschool policy meetings are the things that come to mind - most of it just regular every day things in my week.

But taxes...well need I say anything? I figured out my taxes with childcare expenses added in and found out that it reduces my child tax supplement more than the benefit from adding those expenses. So, this year I spent a chunk of my earnings on childcare (an expense I didn't have last year) and I may as well not claim a cent of it as it's to my disadvantage. What kind of system is that?!! Oh you better believe I love the Stephen Harper's childcare plan. (He wants to give a childcare allowance to each family with preschoolers to help with childcare as they wish - the Liberals and NDP's just want to give advantages to families who need childcare spaces in day care centers which is of no value to me) . Oh well, I wouldn't do anything differently - Rory had a good year staying with friends of ours and it was so much easier for Grandma not to have both boys two days in a row.

All That Jazz - An evening of jazz put on by our high school students was something worth being jazzed about. The calibre of musical talent was exceptional - a wonderful evening with cheesecake dessert and coffee to top it off. And it was special for me because I've been working with two grade nine students who were allowed to join the jazz choir on the condition that they could get some extra coaching with their music as they're not in the high school and would miss a number of practices. Both of them have amazing talent and I can't wait to see where their music will take them in the future - exciting!

And Ladger and I are part of a committee of homeschoolers in Southwest Saskatchewan that is coming together to put forward a homeschool policy for the newly formed amalgamated school district and board. We've been to a couple meetings and have a policy drafted that is ready to be presented to the school board. We have great respect for the homeschooling families in our area - it's exciting to be a part of it all.