Monday, December 18, 2006

What a week!!!

Today, I feel as light as a feather. This week has been a heavy one for me. Let me share my week with you. Our worship team was going to be on Dec 17 and so I chose seven songs and did up lead sheets for each of them - rearranging the chording on most of them to update them a little - mostly Christmas carols. And then I wrote out parts for two saxophones, a flute and violin for all the songs. I figured that each song took about an hour and a half to complete. And when have I found that time? I was up late almost every evening finding that my best time was after the kids and Ladger went to bed so that I would have uninterrupted time to be creative.

And then our practice was set for Saturday and I had to adjust the time to work around a wedding and the reception that was taking place at the church. And then the worry kicked in as Friday we had freezing rain and then on Saturday was calling for a blizzard! I was on the road Friday and it was like a skating rink - any little bump on the road and the car started heading for the ditch and it wasn't easy keeping it on the road.

Thankfully, most of that melted away and dried up during the day because the next day was calling for snow and a lot of wind. And it was just like they said - white-out conditions.

I would have cancelled the practice but Rory's musical was supposed to be going to a senior's apartment that afternoon as well and they didn't cancel that. So Ladger agreed to drive us in and I was thankful to at least be able to set up all the microphones and gear and then realized the reception was set up and we wouldn't have access to some things. So we did the best we could do with what we could find and I was thankful that we were able to do that much but it was still not totally ready for Sunday morning. Plus less than half our team made it to the practice. Not only that but I was part of three numbers for Sunday evening's concert and we were also supposed to practice Saturday - and we only got to practice one of those and the other two hadn't come together yet and were definitely needing work.

The long and short of it was: knowing we weren't prepared and not knowing how the weather would be Sunday and how many or who would make it to church is not something I enjoy.

And then, I noticed Sunday morning I noticed a couple of spots on Rory and didn't think much of it.

We got to church - managed to switch around gear and finish setting up, and quickly run through the music in 40 min. And then, I sat down with Rory and noticed the spots had increased.... Chicken Pox!! Ladger was nowhere to be found and when I finally located him found out that he was sick too - a stomach flu!

Well we got through it all and finally got home.

Ladger was not doing well but I had no choice but to leave the boys with him while I went to the evening concert. I left as soon as my part in it was finished. Meanwhile I knew I was quickly coming down with the same flu Ladger had. And so I didn't eat any supper. And I was feeling nauseous half the night.

So why am I feeling so great today? Physically I feel fine - and that's a blessing! Ladger's also back on his feet. The worship team did a great job and many people were blessed by it! And I knew every second I invested in writing those parts out to involve those precious young people was well worth a little less sleep *grin* Rory's spirits are good and he is handling the chicken pox well - hasn't even had a fever yet. The sun is shining and the storm is over. It's a good day and we are blessed! Plus now we are living with a self-imposed quarantine this week which means we're staying home right up 'til Christmas! So I'll clean up the house...make some chocolate amaretto cheesecake and in between oatmeal baths and calamine lotion, we'll do as many fun things as we can with the boys. Truly, we are blessed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a week! Gotta love a capella worship teams!!!

G~ said...

hey sweetie! what an experience, but i absolutely love how you chose to look at it. sometimes going through the trials make us appreciate the blessings and when we can see the blessings DESPITE the trials? well, that in itself is a blessing indeed!

love ya!
your old bad friend...
g~ ;Þ