Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Harvest has begun!

One of the things that I find challenging about farming is having no clear cut dates for anything. Usually harvest doesn't begin until well into August if at all. But this year some farmers have already put in a good week or more.

So I knew harvest was right around the corner but it's hard to know just when. And then my birthday was just a couple of days ago. At first I wanted to have a mini family vacation to Calgary and Calaway Park (amusement park) for the weekend. But as harvest looked imminent, I figured more realistically Ladger and I could go out for a movie so we were planning that until the evening before, Ladger went checking on the fields and came in to announce that we were starting harvest the next morning. So the movie never did happen....yet!!

But all was not lost. Almost all my family called me and I spent hours catching up with everyone. And then last night some girlfriends treated me to a birthday dinner which was really special!

But I came home to find out that Rory had taken off on his bicycle for the field when he was supposed to be at home with the babysitter. His grandma saw him through the window and went with the half-ton to pick him up and drove him out there and so he didn't get home until 10:30 pm. One person described Rory as intense and I thought that was a perfect description. He has a one-track mind and even though he was so excited that the babysitter was coming - he was even more determined to be part of the harvest. That kind of focus and determination may get him far in life.... one can only hope so.

5 comments:

Amie said...

Happy Birthday! :D

Andrea said...

Thanks Amie!

Anonymous said...

Hey...sorry i couldnt be a part of the bday celebration. Happy belated bday, friend.
bjf

Andrea said...

Thanks bjf! You know we do miss you at our birthday outings - but we're enjoying them so much we're planning to keep on going at least once a month even if we have to make up an occasion :-) So if you need the particulars for next month, give me a call.

Anonymous said...

What a great site Prozacfluoxetine prozac merchant services careers Swimsuits see