Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Who know what I'll be doing today....

I've become the fall guy this harvest...especially these last couple of days. We're on our last crop which is Durum wheat and it is yielding better than expected. Two trucks are having a hard time keeping up to the combine and so I've been doing what's needed to keep it going.

One day that meant unloading Jake's truck while he took another truck to the field. Then he'd come back with another full truck which I'd unload while he switched trucks and went to the field. He was constantly driving... I was constantly unloading with very little break for two hours. And the last half an hour I was standing holding my freezing three year old who was constantly yawning. I ended up wrapping him up in a pair of Grandpa's dirty coveralls that were in the truck because it was the only thing I could find. And I was tied to the conveyor - it really needs constant attention or else it can easily be overloaded and then I'm back to emptying it into 20 ten gallon pails again....

It was a good thing Ladger hadn't asked me to do that all day - I don't know if I could have kept it up much longer.

So the next day was better... I just had to take the third truck out to the field for one dump. But that is the truck no one expected to be using...it's not been tuned up and is a beast to drive. I think Ladger's dad is surprised I can get it to the field and back. And today, I have no idea what I may be called on to do. I find it difficult managing the uncertainty of my day along with figuring out in minutes what to do with the boys so that they're safe and reasonably content. Because when the phone rings....I don't have time...I have to go.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Hey girl, so good to hear from you! Wow what a day you had! I don't think I would make a good farmer! :-). Too ... much work! Soundf like it has turned cold alrady by you. It has been droping into the uper fifties at night hear but still warm during the day. Have a grand weekend!

Andrea said...

It has turned cold and rainy and miserable and we still have a good two days worth of wheat to go. The hardest thing about it right now is knowing that if we hadn't had the machinery troubles, we'd have been done by now. Most likely we will be seeing a downgrade in the wheat that's still to be combined. Ugh!