Monday, October 10, 2005

In case you think I'm good at being a SAHM...

I can be a terrible cook sometimes! I've avoided roasts like a plague because I've had so many disasters and then I thought how it would so much more economical to cook up a roast for sandwich meat then buying deli meats all the time. So I tried a nice roast beef taking care to follow the instructions for my slow cooker. But something went wrong and it was way overcooked by the morning (I left it overnight). Then I tried roasting one in the oven and it ended up pretty red in the middle and tough! So I chopped it up for soups. And then I thought I 'd try a pork roast. And when it was as dry as a bone I could have cried (I think maybe I did shed a few frustrated tears). Just last week, a friend was talking about how she cooks roasts a lot because they were so easy!!

Finally I invested in a better meat thermometer and tried it out yesterday on yet another pork roast. And finally, success!! I hadn't really planned a Thanksgiving dinner but since Ladger was home and I had a decent roast (plus a pumpkin cake), we ended up with a nice holiday dinner after all.

And then I took the boys out to the field with me. I had to do some of the trucking as Ladger's mom hurt her knee. For sure, the first time I came home to dump a load of peas into a bin, I overloaded the conveyor and it stalled. So I had to get about 10 - 10 gallon pails and sccop a lot of the peas out of the conveyor before I could start it up again. But the rest of the day went well and we are getting close to the end of this harvest, finally!