Monday, October 24, 2005

My friend lent me a book the other day that I've been wanting to read for awhile. Indeed, she's rescued me from Nicholas Sparks.... not that I have anything against romance fiction. But I do find that unless the plot involves a lot more than a budding romance, I tend to get a little bored with it. I've borrowed "A New Kind of Christian" by McLaren. I'm almost halfway through and I'm still waiting for it to 'shock' my conservative, evangelical sensibilities. My friend has seen some sparks fly in discussions about this book (and others like it) when discussing PostModernism.

Here's are a couple of quotes from the book that I'm enjoying pondering:

"I'm not in any way saying truth isn't important. But I am saying that truth means more than factual accuracy. It means being in sync with God."

"What if faith isn't best compared to a building, but rather to a spiderweb? Instead of one foundation, it has several anchor points... But where does the Bible fit in?...It could be seen as one of the anchor points. Or perhaps every passage in the Bible that has affected your life could be seen as an anchor point. Or perhaps the Bible isn't only in the anchor points. Perhaps it is part of every thread of the web."

I'd be interested to hear what you think of these two quotes.

No comments: