Monday, November 01, 2004

Here are some highlights that I've been thinking about since hearing the message on Sunday: Jesus positions us to feel our need. It is so easy to become self-sufficient and independent as we trust in our own selves. But we need to come face to face with our need because in reality self-sufficiency is a lie. And once we recognize our need, Jesus allows us to own that reality and come to terms with how little we have to offer. Then He accepts the little that we do have and works through us to do His work. We can see that pattern in the story of Jesus feeding the 5000 (Matthew 14:13-21). The disciples wanted to let the people go home as it was dark and there was nothing to eat; just as we wish circumstances would go away in our lives.
But Jesus says, "They do not need to go away. You give them something to eat."
Did Jesus know the disciples had nothing to feed the people with? Of course He did but He put them in the position of seeing that they could not meet the need. The disciples said they only had five loaves of bread and two fishes.
And Jesus says, "Bring them here to me".
And he takes the little that the disciples have and starts to divide the food and asks the disciples to hand it out and as we know, that little bit became enough food for 5000 men plus women and children with twelve baskets of food left over.

This Sunday I will be working with a team to lead worship. I have worked hard to put a package of music together but I know my need. I can play some music on Sunday and it won't be any more meaningful than just a bit of 'performance' unless God empowers our team and works through us to do His work. So I am giving my little to Him with every hope and prayer that He will accomplish His purposes with it.
So pray for me, if you will, that God would bring me to a point of total awareness of my need and destroy any confidence I might have in my own ability. And may He be glorified and His Spirit move freely as we proclaim our love and our worship to our Most Loving Father.

No comments: