Monday, November 29, 2004

The Problem of 'Tolerance'.
Our culture has taught us that to be a good member of our society we must be tolerant and if everyone would be tolerant of everyone else than we can all live together in peace and harmony - utopia. But what is this really saying?

Tolerance implies dislike and disagreement. I don't like you but I tolerate you. I don't agree with you but I tolerate you. (Sounds like bad medicine - tastes bad but for the greater good, I tolerate it). Tolerance requires effort. It is like saying, "Hey, I don't approve of you and maybe I don't even like you but I'll put up with you because I believe that's what I ought to do. Isn't that good of me for being so gracious? And isn't that terrible if everyone doesn't treat you with the same 'dignity' as I do?"

Those who live by the 'religion' of tolerance really believe that those who seem to be intolerant are enemies to our society and our hopes for peace. And here is where Christians are so often misunderstood. If Christians truly live according to the Bible, we are intolerant of what God is intolerant of. Is God intolerant? He is intolerant of evil. He is holy and cannot tolerate unholiness. God does not tolerate irreverance and disobedience. He does not make an effort to 'tolerate' me, putting up with my sinfulness.

INSTEAD, He provides a way of salvation because He doesn't choose to just 'tolerate' me. He loves me. Unbelievable. He loves me. He loves me as His own child and is constantly working in me to become more like Him.

So am I to be tolerant of those around me; especially those with whom I disagree and naturally dislike? NO!! I am to love you; to embrace you with an open and warm heart. But I cannot embrace what is evil; what is unjust and what is unholy. Please don't ask me to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » » »