Tuesday, June 28, 2005

My childhood...

I've been tagged by Catez at All Things to All. I've been asked to describe five things that I miss from my childhood and I can tell this is going to be a little stretching as I dig back a few years.

1. I miss the days when I had nothing to do but head outdoors on a nice day with a good book and sit on my favorite rock beside a little brook. I loved the freedom and the sense of well-being. Now I'm lucky to find tiny bits of time!

2. I miss the days when cleaning the bathroom was the only chore I had all week...besides the dishes after supper. I was never too quick to get the job done and so I always ended up being the dish dryer. And most of the time I'd sneak away to play a little piano while my sister got started. She'd complain about it but I always figured that I may as well enjoy myself until there were some dishes to dry. I'm still not quick to get the job done and it's always tempting to just play a song or two before I get to work in earnest. Unfortunately, there's no one to get the job started but me.

3. I miss the days when I'd wander through the woods and come upon an unexpected clearing. One of those became my favorite place - there was a large black rock in the middle of it. I wonder if it's still there as I remember it. I wonder if I could even find it.

4. I miss those early days of school. I loved the school bus because my best friends were on it. We were silly, giggled lots and did this hand clapping thing a lot - the busdriver must have been so relieved to see us get off the bus finally. I loved life and I could be sillier than most. Now I should kick up my heels and be silly once in awhile...just because.

5. I miss the wonder... the wonder of Prince Edward Island, Cherry Brook Zoo, Magnetic Mountain, Kingslanding (New Brunswick) and other excursions we'd take in summer as a family; when everything was an adventure and new places so exciting; when going for a boat ride with my dad and sister in a little motor boat and being in a storm was the most exciting thing I'd ever done. Little things were a huge deal and it was so easy to see all that was 'wonder'ful.

Here's the procedure:

I pick four people to write on "Five things I miss from my childhood". I'd like to pick the following four. Let me know if you can't in the comments and I'll find another unsuspecting victim... er... participant. I have seen somewhere before so please let me know if I've tagged you and you've already done this one :-)

Kim from The Upward Call, Sparrow from Intent, Carol from Carol's Storybook and Gem from Roughcut Gems.

Remove the blog at No.1 from the following list and bump every one up one place; add your blog’s name in the No.5 spot. I've linked to their posts on childhood, with the URLs for you as well:

1. Just Ask Judy
http://justaskjudy.blogspot.com/2005/06/ive-been-tagged.html
2. Loose Leaf
http://www.looseleafnotes.com/archives/2005/06/meme_5_things_i.html
3. Black Currant Jam
http://blackcurantjam.blogspot.com/2005/06/meme-5-things-i-miss.html
4. Allthings2all
http://allthings2all.blogspot.com/2005/06/i-wanted-green-hair.html
5. Tales of a Farmwife
http://alynnmusic.blogspot.com/2005/06/my-childhood.html

And pick four people. Thanks!

No comments: