Monday, July 12, 2004

Home, Sweet Home?

Usually when we've been gone for a few days, I am so happy to be home. We had such a great time at camp and with all the work staring at me now (huge grass and weeds, laundry,etc,etc) home is maybe not as sweet as it could be. I feel a little overwhelmed today with how I'm ever going to catch up. But let me tell you a bit about our weekend. We had perfect weather - sunny and yet not too hot or windy. The men went golfing one morning which Ladger really enjoyed. The ladies left their children in their husbands care one afternoon for an afternoon of spa treatment by the pool. I had a pedicure and a facial. The staff at the camp were awesome!! These young girls treated us 'old' moms really special - bringing us iced tea or lemonade as they worked on us.
Rory had fun with a few firsts: he enjoyed the horseback riding and the trampoline in particular. He got to 'swim' a few times but much preferred the hottub. So did Paxton. We had an organized water balloon fight that was a lot of fun for everyone (except Rory who didn't quite understand the concept that while it is fun to throw water at others, they're going to get you back). He cried when one guy got him so I told him if he didn't want to get wet, don't throw any more balloons. Did he listen? No! So he got soaked again and cried.Ladger got me pretty good so of course I couldn't rest until he was soaked through.
Our meals were excellent!! One dinner they fed the kids early and then took the kids for an activity time while the parents enjoyed a banquet. They had set up the dining hall with fresh flowers, candles, tablecloths and soft music. The roast beef and mashed potatoes were as good as any restaurant. The cooks made everything including hamburger patties for a barb-b-que and pastries for a brunch Sunday morning. Ladger said he felt he was on a retreat more than 'roughing' it as 'camping' implies.
The speaker and his wife are ranchers from Maple Creek - very down-to-earth folks that were a real blessing to all of us. I made some new friends and renewed some friendships of people I knew from Bible College. Altogether a very wonderful time. I won't have a hard time convincing Ladger to go again next year because he enjoyed it as much as I did. And it will even be easier next year with Paxton a little older and not clinging to me as much. I wanted to play one game but he wouldn't stay with anyone else so I did my best running around with 'my extra appendage' hanging on tight. I even managed to 'free' Ladger at the other end of the field without getting caught by the other team. But I especially enjoyed the volleyball game in the pool I got to play after the kids were asleep Saturday night (11pm to midnight). So I'm glad to be home but even more glad that we went and had such a great time as a family!