Friday, April 22, 2005

My Day...

I can hear Rory singing to the top of his lungs "Small and powerful". He's watching the Save'ums (cartoon). Paxton is relaxing with his duckie and a bottle of juice. It looks like I may have a few minutes to spend here. It's a beautiful today and Ladger is starting out by spraying and if the wind picks up he'll switch to seeding later. He has his lunch with him so I feel like I have a big free day ahead of me. (I've already finished helping Rory with his school work).
So I can:


Maybe you can hold me accountable. Tonight I'll check in to see what I've managed to do and then be sure and let me have it if I've slacked off :-)

Update: I did one load of laundry. I did weed but didn't rotortill. I didn't plant potatoes. I did practice and pick out most of the music for next week. I didn't touch the taxes. I did play with the boys outside and roughhouse for awhile. I didn't read at all. I did pray a little.

But I would live my life in total frustration if I lived by a to do list. Here's why: yesterday afternoon as I was diving in to more laundry, I got a phone call from my MIL. She was in town and couldn't turn the ignition to start the car. She wanted either Ladger or his dad to come to her rescue. Well they're seeding so I packed up Paxton and drove out to the field to speak with Ladger and he suggested that I go to town (surprise, surprise!) and gave me a couple of ideas to try. So I went back home, changed and drove the 20 min to town. I got her car started with no problem. Then since I was there I decided to pick up a few groceries so it wouldn't be a wasted trip. Then by the time I got home it was time to prepare a supper and drive it out to the field. And just like that, there went my list of to do's down the drain. I know everyone has the 'unexpecteds' happen. But for me it feels like the norm:

  • something breaks down and I need to go to town for the part
  • trucks need to be moved from one field to the next and I need to help out
  • fuel is needed and I need to drive out to the field for that
  • Rory is tired of going along in the tractor and I need to go pick him up

So it's either be a little less efficient and stay flexible and in a reasonable humor about these 'extras' or it's have a to do list that never gets done and deal with frustration and discouragement. It's my experience that most things get done as long as I keep plugging along and not forget to enjoy the moment. Blessings to all who benefit from lists and to all who, like me, don't use them for one reason or other!