Saturday, August 27, 2005

A Few Extra Gray Hairs....

Isn't it about time I wrote about harvest? Yeah...I thought so. It has been a difficult year with flooding and three different hailstorms. Lately it's been threat of frost early in August (which we've escaped so far) and too much rain. And that is nothing compared to the stress over having new machinery that isn't working properly. We got a new combine which is exciting until you try hooking it up to your headers and having nothing work the way it's supposed to. By the way, headers are attached to the front of the combine that cut the crop and 'suck' it into the combine to be threshed. Yesterday, Ladger was excited about running to town for a new part that should have done the trick but alas they sent the wrong thing. And who pays? Why we do...with more gray hair, wrinkles, stomach ulcers, etc. At least Paxton got a new toy tractor out of the trip. Apparently while Ladger was at the counter, Paxton found the toys and came over beside Ladger holding this one with a big smile. Ladger told him he'd have to put it back but the parts guy said he could have it - who can resist such a cute little guy!! Yes, who indeed!

So this morning, Ladger went dessicating our lentils. That means spraying to kill the plant so that it will dry down so it can be harvested. If one doesn't do that the weeds often stay green and cause problems and sometimes the crop ripens very unevenly with some being ready to harvest and some still green. I wish he could get on the combine and go...but it looks like we'll be waiting until Monday 'cause it's the weekend. And it's forecasting rain again. Yikes!

So we're all eager for this crazy year to be done with. And since I don't like dwelling on the difficulties...I haven't written much about farming at all this summer. I can just hope that once we DO get going, things will go smoothly and things will look brighter.

Meanwhile, I'm preparing for another year of music lessons. And guess what I got it into my head to buy. A classical guitar. I already have a really nice acoustic one but since I just love fingerstyle and have been getting into classical guitar music....well it just made sense to get a proper classical guitar. And I really do love playing it - so much easier on the fingers and a more expressive sound with the nylon strings. Thank goodness Ladger supports me in my little whims. He had no idea what I was buying when I stopped at the guitar store 'just to see what was there'. And out I come with a new guitar. I have a number of students that really like fingerstyle guitar and some younger students that could benefit from it as well - it's a little smaller and easier to play. I also put in an order for some new materials and I can't wait to get them to start putting together a plan for each of my students this year. So between that, housework, and homeschooling I really don't need to think about harvest at all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »