Tuesday, June 29, 2004

I remember the anticipation I felt as a child going to summer Bible camp (Miramichi Bible Camp). I looked forward to it so much and in my teen years I spent practically whole summers there helping with the younger camps. It has been a long time (sixteen years) but I'm feeling the anticipation all over again. I just received notice that our application to West Bank Bible Family Camp was accepted and I am excited about going. It's extra special that Ladger was willing to go for it as he never attended Bible camp as a young person and doesn't have the fond memories that I do. The camp seems to have a lot to offer with horses, canoeing, hottub, swimming, rock climbing wall and they're taking the dads golfing one morning too. The family camp runs July 8-11. And here's the bonus for me: the new directors are old friends of mine from Briercrest. Liz and I had a mentor relationship and it will be so great to catch up with her and her family.

I must make a few comments about the election in Canada yesterday. I went to the poll first thing in the morning anticipating possibilities. We went to town and I made a point of buying some treats in case we felt like celebrating. Instead we watched as the results came in from the Maritimes and just felt depressed! I just cannot understand why the good down-to-earth folks I grew up with and around are more willing to bring in the Liberals than to cast a vote for the Conservatives. Why do eastern folks think that western folks have a horrible agenda to ruin this country when all we want is a voice and some sensible democratic values upheld - values that represent many people across this nation. How can a party that represents so many of us out here be such a threat to everyone else? We're not looking to separate from Canada. We're looking for a way to be part of a stronger and more balanced Canada. One where the rights of Christians and other conservative minded people are just as valid as the rights of everyone else. Should we really just promise the moon (like other parties do) just to get the vote with no real intention or sound method of delivering on those promises? Do we have to have less integrity in order to even be heard?

No comments: