Sunday, May 15, 2005

Fish, strawberries and a little stress...

This morning, on the way to church, Ladger and I were talking at the difference in taste between fish from a fish farm versus those caught in the wild. And the difference between strawberries in our garden versus what we can buy in the grocery store. Plants and animals that are given the exact nutrition and conditions that they need to thrive somehow end up lacking something vital. Maybe what they're missing is stress. My strawberries plants are dealing with frosty nights, too much water and then too little water. They aren't babied and maybe they wish they could trade places with their greenhouse sisters but the results are remarkably different.

Isn't that so like us? We all would love to live a stress-free life but God isn't interested in providing us with a comfortable life. He's seeking to build character within us and as we weather the storms of life something beautiful takes shape in our lives....if we allow God to work in our hearts.

I struggled with some things a couple of days ago... my optimism was struggling and things looked pretty dark. Nothing has changed in my circumstances but it feels like the sun has come out again. May my darkest days be a fork in the road where I choose to trust God no matter what my circumstances.

No comments: