Tuesday, September 14, 2004

I remember Shakespeare in high school and how a whole series of things would go wrong and end up in deep tragedy or a funny comedy of errors. Well Sunday's lunch was that kind of 'comedy of errors' for me. I made chili and had it simmering away in a crock pot all morning. I took it to the field along with my barbecue to cook some hot dogs to make chili dogs. Well I set up the barbecue and ...nothing. So I figured the propane tank was empty. No problem. I had another full tank along for just such a problem. So I hooked it up and tried again only my lighter was out of gas. No problem. I had stuck a matchbox in the glove compartment of the half ton for just that situation. I remember shaking the box when I put it there and thought there were at least a few matches in there. Well I opened the box and there were only two and one of them had been lit before. So I just had one match. So I lit it but the wind blew it out before it lit the barbecue. The only other thing I could think of was the cigarette lighter but I just couldn't get a little fire going properly because it was so windy. So I gave up and was thankful I had a pot of hot chili along - that and hot dog buns was going to be lunch (and I had made squares too). So I got Ladger's parents set up with drinks and dinner plates in their truck and I get into the halfton to eat with Ladger and the boys and Ladger says, "The chili tastes sour". "Sour? How can chili taste sour?", I reply and took a bite and to my dismay it was just as Ladger said, hot and sour at the same time. Very strange. Maybe it was the seasoning I used (I usually do my own spices but thought I'd use a bought seasoning packet instead). So I'm mortified thinking Ladger's parents are going to starve that day. But the two of them licked their plates clean and said they enjoyed it. Either they're being very kind or their tastebuds aren't real sensitive these days. Yesterday I went to town and bought another lighter plus lots of matches (these are even waterproof). Maybe I can avoid a similar calamity in the future.


Yesterday, I took Paxton to the doctor to check out his rash and sure enough it was eczema as I had suspected so now he has some cream to treat it. But I thought I was going to be a zombie by the time I finally got in to see the doctor. Our appointment was for 4:30 pm and we were on time but didn't get called in to until close to 5:30 pm. Picture me and two active boys and all the other patients as adults (some seniors). Picture the one year old heading off on a run to the nurses' station and while I'm getting him, the three year old takes it as license to run wild around the room. The two of them were enjoying themselves immensely and I thought I wasn't going to make it. Finally, I got them rounded up and settled 'quietly' to look through the Sears WishBook. That's a big book - it should have taken a little while right? Well in no time at all, Paxton decides to run off again, and again while I'm chasing him down, Rory goes zooming around the room again - this time not noticing that the bag of candy he is holding is ripped and candies are falling as he goes. I ended up taking them both to the washroom and having a 'little chat' with Rory. Finally he agrees to act better and we go back in to discover our name had been called while we were 'out'. Finally we got to the room and Rory hopped up on the bed to show the doctor his 'owie' and I got Paxton stripped of his pants to show the doctor his rash. The doctor loves kids and got a kick out of Rory. Rory spotted a cardboard tube in the trash and asked the doctor for it. He said it was an auger part. So I get home and Ladger got home about 9 pm and I thought that was great as I was beat. Just when I was enjoying the thought of letting Ladger finish putting the boys to bed while I could go read and relax, Ladger's dad calls and says we should bring the sprayer home in case it freezes. So off he went and wasn't back until after 10 pm. So my hopes for relaxation were gone like that. Maybe today will be a little smoother :-)

No comments: