Monday, September 20, 2004

Reflections

I just came across this quote by Saint Augustine:

"There can be only two basic loves,

the love of God unto the forgetfulness of self,

or the love of self unto the forgetfulness of God."

I've been doing a lot of thinking and preparing for leading worship in November and this quote summarizes exactly how I've felt when I've felt God moving in our worship; a true forgetfulness of self. It's how I can play, sing and lead worship without a thought to how I sound or whether I make mistakes, etc. This is one reason why I bought "Soultalk" by Larry Crabb (where I read St Augustine's quote): I want to be able to worship God wholeheartedly and be able to lead others to do the same. I desire to be used by God in a powerful way and though I suffer my share of self-doubt, the truth is that the power of God lives in me through the Holy Spirit already. I need to learn how to be a vessel that God can use; how to empty me of 'self' so that God can fill me up and use me for His glory. So I'm on a spiritual quest. I love the song "The Heart of Worship" by Matt Redman.


When the music fades, all is stripped away, and I simply come.

Longing just to bring something that's of worth, that will bless your heart.

I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself is not what you have required.

You search much deeper within, through the way things appear; you're looking into my heart.

I'm coming back to the heart of worship

And it's all about you, all about you, Jesus.

I'm sorry Lord for the thing I've made it,

When it's all about you, all about you, Jesus.



No comments: